(a) Commencing with budget requests for the 2015-16 state fiscal year and each state fiscal year thereafter, in order to facilitate the initial review of budget requests, the following rules apply:
(1) Operating budget requests reviewed by the Joint Budget Committee. The operating budget generally includes routine expenses related to day-to-day operations, including items that require ongoing funding levels from year to year such as personnel, utilities, and program expenses. Operating budget requests are reviewed and prioritized by the joint budget committee and include the following:
(A) The operating budget includes building and equipment repair and renovation associated with routine maintenance of existing assets and for construction projects of limited scope, if such repair, renovation, or construction falls within the definition of capital outlay as defined in section 24-75-112 (1), Colorado Revised Statutes.
(B) The operating budget includes ongoing costs associated with the maintenance of information technology projects if such ongoing costs are not included in an information technology budget request.
(2) Capital construction budget requests reviewed and prioritized by the Capital Development Committee. Capital budget requests generally include projects that require a large and temporary outlay of funds for the acquisition, construction, renovation, and maintenance of capital assets. Capital budget requests are reviewed and prioritized by the capital development committee and include budget requests for:
(A) A state-funded and cash-funded capital construction project, except a cash-funded capital construction project for state institutions of higher education, when a capital construction project, including the cost of initial design, has a total cost of more than $500,000.
(B) A cash-funded capital construction project for a state institution of higher education that is requested pursuant to section 23-1-106, Colorado Revised Statutes.
(C) A capital renewal project.
(D) A controlled maintenance project with a total cost of more than $15,000 but less than $2 million in state funds.
(3) Information technology budget requests reviewed and prioritized by the Joint Technology Committee. (A) Budget requests for information technology with a total project cost that equals or exceeds $500,000 are information technology budget requests that are reviewed and prioritized by the joint technology committee.
(B) The joint technology committee shall review any operating budget requests for information technology that the joint budget committee forwards to the joint technology committee for review.(b) Notwithstanding this Joint Rule, if the Capital Development Committee, the Joint Technology Committee, or the Joint Budget Committee determines that a particular request would be more appropriately reviewed by another committee, it may refer the request to the other committee at its discretion.
(c) Notwithstanding this Joint Rule, a budget request, regardless of the source of funds or total request amount, to make local grant awards for construction projects is classified as an operating budget request and is reviewed by the Joint Budget Committee.
(d) As used in this Joint Rule, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) "Capital construction", "capital renewal", "controlled maintenance", and "state institutions of higher education" have the same meanings as set forth in section 24-30-1301, Colorado Revised Statutes.
(2) "Information technology budget request" and "information technology" have the same meaning as set forth in section 2-3-1701 (2.5), Colorado Revised Statutes.