STAFF SUMMARY OF MEETING
CAPITOL BUILDING ADVISORY COMMITTEE
|Time:||01:32 PM to 03:14 PM|
|This Meeting was called to order by|
| Georgianna Contiguglia|
|This Report was prepared by|
X = Present, E = Excused, A = Absent, * = Present after roll call
01:33 PM -- Capitol Lighting Project
|Bills Addressed: ||Action Taken:|
|Capitol Lighting Project|
MOU with Council on the Arts
Discussion of DVD Sales
Tour Desk Issues
Solar Panel Project Update
Lance Shepherd, Office of the State Architect, came to the table to talk to the committee about the capitol lighting project. The purpose of the lighting project is to enhance the view of the building after dark, as well as to enhance security. Mr. Shepherd introduced the consultants on the project and provided a handout (Attachment A). He explained the scope of the project, which keeps energy efficiency and security in mind. He said the project has been approved by the Colorado State Patrol.
Rachel Petro, designer with RNL, described the development of the capitol lighting project. Melissa Friedland from Greenlight Engineering described her part in the project. Tim Flanagan, also from Greenlight Engineering, talked about the lighting in the House and Senate legislative chambers, explaining that lenses for light cans in the legislative chambers would be custom designed to keep shattered glass from raining down when a light bulb blows. He said some of the cans would be changed out, and their direction adjusted, but that the controls would remain the same. Mr. Flanagan talked about exterior security lighting, noting it would not change the look of the building. He said the current stadium lights would be replaced by much smaller fixtures in the same locations. He said that lights in the entryways would be changed to function better. He said the new lighting would look better, be more maintainable, and be more energy efficient. Mr. Shepherd noted that the new exterior dome lighting could be turned off at night.
Ms. Friedland referred the committee to a photo in the handout showing how the capitol might look at night with the new lighting. She walked the committee through the handout, showing examples of different lighting schemes that might be employed. Ms. Petro talked about how the light-emitting-diode (LED) lights could be blended to utilize color. Ms. Petro talked about each layer of the lighting project, providing details about maintenance and efficiency of each fixture. The committee discussed maintenance issues, suggesting a maintenance schedule be developed for new fixtures.
Representative Weissmann talked about the state's budget issues and asked how the projects would be funded. Mr. Shepherd explained that the project is on the table for cuts. Ms. Petro said the work would be done on a priority basis. She spoke next about the light in the crow's nest, which is a low wattage, low maintenance, low energy usage fixture. The next layer she described is light within the dome that would glow out the windows at night. Ms. Contiguglia asked if that layer would be done after the structural improvements would be made to the dome. The committee discussed how many lights would be needed to accomplish the desired effect at this level and about the possibility of exterior light on the dome.
Ms. Petro continued her discussion, talking about the current up-shining stadium lights, and explaining how new lower-wattage lights would perform. In response to a question, Ms. Petro noted that the lights would be moved in somewhat, so that they would no longer be hanging off the side of the roof. Mr. Lombardi commented on the safety issues with changing the lights as they currently exist. The committee discussed the security lighting and need for it to remain where it is due to needs around the security cameras.
Ms. Petro continued by discussing the layer of lights around the exterior balcony. Next, she described LED fixture that would be recessed into the floor and explained how they would be installed. Mr. Flanagan provided further clarification to this issue, describing in more detail how the fixtures would be installed. Mr. Shepherd clarified that the concrete on that level is original to the building. The committee discussed how power would come to those fixtures. Ms. Friedland said the fixture, which is LED, would need to be replaced very infrequently, so the need to remove the fixture to change the light should be minimal, noting that they would only need to be changed approximately once every ten years. Ms. Petro explained why the decision was made to put fixtures in the floor, noting that they would not interfere with future work on the structure of the dome. Ms. Friedland talked about safety issues, saying having the fixtures at the level proposed would negate the need for someone to get up on a ladder to perform maintenance. The committee talked about the difference of the effect of down-lighting as opposed to up-lighting and the possibility of water penetration. Committee discussion about the fixtures continued, focusing on water penetration issues.
The flagpole light was discussed next. Ms. Petro explained that the fixture would be more efficient than the current fixture. Below the flag, Ms. Petro said, there would be a linear LED fixture on the pediment. This fixture would light upwards. These fixtures, she said, would be on the west facade, which has the highest visibility. The committee discussed this, talking about the possibility of more lighting on the other facades.
Ms. Petro next described the LED flood lights that would be placed at the base of the columns, saying it would be a tight beam angle showing the depth and prominence of the balconies. Finally, she talked about the security lights, saying they would be replaced with lower-wattage lights, which would put more light where it is needed. Mr. Nichols asked about savings in operating costs, and whether the savings would pay for the installation. Mr. Shepherd talked about possible funding sources for the project, saying they are looking at different funding levels. Rachel said each level could be prioritized into an a la carte list.
Ms. Contiguglia asked that the designers follow up on the water issue.
|BILL:||Capitol Lighting Project |
|TIME: || 11:14:54 AM|
|MOTION:||Moved that the committee accept the capitol lighting proposal, with a caveat that the designers study the up-lighting on the observation deck to ensure that water penetration would not be an issue. The motion passed on an 8-1 vote.|
Final YES: 8 NO: 0 EXC: 3 ABS: 0 FINAL ACTION: PASS
02:22 PM -- MOU with Council on the Arts
Jil Rosentater of the Colorado Arts Council came to the table to discuss the draft Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) related to the extension of the Creative Capitol program to the basement rotunda. The draft MOU is contained in Attachment B. The committee discussed a number of changes that needed to be made to the MOU.
Representative Weissmann asked that point number nine in the MOU be changed to allow either party to the MOU to terminate it. Mr. Nichols asked point number two be clarified to read that up to four exhibits be allowed.
Mr. Lombardi asked that the possibility of damage to the building be addressed in the MOU. Representative Weissmann suggested adding, in point number four, that the installation be done in collaboration with the Department of Personnel and Administration. Mr. Rogers asked that point number five should be clarified so that the signage would reflect an agreed upon template.
The committee discussed the size of the works that were chosen for the exhibit and further discussed the hanging system and installation.
The committee agreed that the committee selecting the art could move forward without coming back to the committee.
Ms. Pelzmann expressed concern about how the project would impact the quilt show.
02:34 PM -- Discussion of DVD Sales
Simon Maghakyan and Betsy Holdredge of Legislative Council Staff came to the table to talk about the possibility of offering for sale to the public the DVD containing a tour of the dome and Mr. Brown's Attic.
Mr. Nichols explained that $600 would purchase 1,000 DVDs that could be offered for sale. At this price, he said, the DVDs would be offered in an envelope or shrink-wrap. For $1,200, he said, 1,000 DVDs in nicer packaging could be purchased.
Mr. Maghakyan explained that there are currently seven items offered for sale to the public in the gift shop area. He said has been approached about several items, but has not brought them to the committee due to budget concerns. Mr. Maghakyan said the gift shop normally keeps on hand 30 copies of items offered for sale, and said they would not want to start with 1,000. He said he had received only one inquiry from a member of the public about purchasing a DVD.
The committee discussed whether fewer DVDs could be ordered to start, agreeing that the current proposal of 1,000 DVDs does not make sense. Ms. Holdredge explained how memorabilia items are funded.
The committee discussed whether the DVDs could be created on-demand in house. Ms. Contiguglia asked Ms. Holdredge and Mr. Maghakyan to discuss the options for creating the DVD and come back to the committee at a later date to let the committee know whether they are interested in proceeding with the project.
Mr. Hite asked for information about the video of the tour of the building. Mr. Pelzmann said the closed captioning on the video stopped working about three years ago and said she hoped the problem could be resolved so the video could be used in the future.
The committee discussed the closed captioning on the video of Mr. Brown's Attic. Theresa Holst, Dome Tour Supervisor, described the video, saying it satisfies most of the ADA requirement, but the television cannot display the closed captioning because it is not connected to cable. The committee talked about possible ways to address the issue with the equipment on hand.
02:49 PM -- Tour Desk Issues
Ms. Holdredge explained that the tour desk needs to move from its current location near the entrance to the Governor's Office. She provided a handout (Attachment C) illustrating the exact location. She said the move is needed to allow one volunteer to staff both the tour desk and the sales desk. The current set-up, she said, means the sales desk is often not staffed. In addition, she explained, there is too much congestion in the tour guide area in their current location. Ms. Holdredge also said the State Patrol has expressed concern about increased traffic into the Governor's Office, which has been caused by the location of the tour desk.
Ms. Holdredge said there would be no cost related to the move. The committee talked about power and egress issues related to the move. Ms. Holdredge clarified that just the information desk would be moved. The committee talked about other options in terms of moving the tour desk.
02:57 PM -- Presidential Portraits
Ms. Contiguglia explained that there is no money remaining from the donation for the Bush portrait, and no money in the committee's fund for portraits.
Ms. Contiguglia said Mr. Rogers would replace Chick Lee on the portraits subcommittee.
Representative Weissmann said he has not been successful in getting the Clinton portrait donated. He offered to raise money for portraits. Ms. Contiguglia said $6000 would be sufficient. Representative Weissmann agreed to work with Ms. Nunnally to raise funds for the Obama portrait.
03:02 PM -- Solar Panel Update
Ms. Contiguglia explained that representatives from the Governor's Energy office would be on the committee's February agenda to provide more information about the proposed display related to the solar panels.
Ms. Contiguglia provided an update on repairs to Mr. Brown's Attic.
The committee talked briefly about the Capitol Complex Master Plan.
Ms. Contiguglia provided an update on the Enos Mills statue, saying the donors have not raised money for the installation of the statue. She explained that the donor will come back to the committee when they have raised the needed $175,000.
Mr. Lombardi asked about the voting booth in the attic. Ms. Holst provided an update on it, saying there are issues related to getting power to it. Mr. Lombardi and Ms. Holst agreed to work with the Governor's Energy Office so that the power from the solar panel display may be shared with the voting booth.
Representative Weissmann said he is talking to someone about working on the interactive display in the basement. Ms. Holst commented that the display was up and working for a period of about six weeks.
The committee requested that staff provide a copy of the historic structure report.
The next committee meeting is February 20 at 1:30 p.m.
The committee approved the minutes of the December meeting without objection.
The committee adjourned.
- Waterproofing/Light Design - Lance Shepherd
- Council on the Arts MOU changes - Jil Rosentater
- Closed-captioning of dome tour video - Theresa Holst
- Funding for Obama portrait - Representative Weissmann and Sharon Nunnally
- Voting booth - Frank Lombardi and Theresa Holst
- Historic Structure Assessment report to committee - Jennifer Thomsen
- Interactive display in basement - Representative Weissmann
Future Agenda Items
- DVD sales
- Capitol tour
- Solar panel display update
- Capitol lighting project -- waterproofing/light design
- Sierra Club/Enos Mills statue