Click here for Fiscal Note
This information is prepared as an informational service only and should not be relied upon as an official record of action taken by the Colorado General Assembly.
Second Regular Session
Sixty-first General Assembly
LLS NO. 980904.01D MCV
HOUSE BILL 981411
STATE OF COLORADO
BY REPRESENTATIVE McElhany, Allen, C. Berry, Dean, Dyer, Epps, Gotlieb, Hefley, June, Kaufman, Lawrence, Mace, May, Morrison, Sinclair, Swenson, Veiga, and S. Williams.
also SENATOR Powers. REREVISED
TRANSPORTATION & ENERGY
A BILL FOR AN ACT
CONCERNING ESTABLISHMENT OF A UNITED STATES OLYMPIC
COMMITTEE SPECIAL LICENSE PLATE.
(Note: This summary applies to this bill as introduced
and does not necessarily reflect any amendments that may be subsequently
Establishes a special license plate for the United States olympic committee. Requires the United States olympic committee to obtain commitments to purchase the special plates from at least 500 persons before the department of revenue may begin issuance of the license plate. Requires the olympic committee to bear all costs of designing the special license plate. Requires that the license plate design conform with standards established by the department and be approved by the department.
Authorizes the olympic committee to establish the following qualifications for persons seeking to obtain special plates:
$ Specified levels of contributions to the United States olympic committee; or
$ Payment of specified olympic association dues, including special dues established for the special license plates. Authorizes the use of moneys collected for special dues for support of the United States olympic committee program.
Allows a person to obtain an olympic committee special
license plate upon paying the required taxes and fees and upon
providing a certificate from the olympic committee confirming
that such person has met the necessary requirements established
by the olympic committee. Directs the department to prepare a
form for such certificate. Provides that the taxes and fees for
the special license plates are the same as the taxes and fees
for regular license plates, plus a onetime fee of $10 for
issuance or replacement of the license plates. Allows an applicant
to obtain personalized olympic committee special license plates
upon payment of the usual fees for personalized plates in addition
to other taxes and fees. Provides that renewal procedures for
the special license plates are the same as for other license plates.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Colorado:
SECTION 1. Article 3 of title 42, Colorado Revised Statutes, is amended BY THE ADDITION OF A NEW SECTION to read:
423115.8. Special plates United States olympic committee. (1) THE DEPARTMENT SHALL ISSUE ONE OR MORE SETS OF OLYMPIC COMMITTEE SPECIAL LICENSE PLATES TO APPLICANTS UNDER THE REQUIREMENTS OF THIS SECTION FOR PASSENGER CARS OR TRUCKS THAT DO NOT EXCEED SIXTEEN THOUSAND POUNDS EMPTY WEIGHT.
(2) (a) THERE IS HEREBY ESTABLISHED THE UNITED STATES OLYMPIC COMMITTEE SPECIAL LICENSE PLATE. THE DEPARTMENT IS AUTHORIZED TO BEGIN ISSUANCE OF SUCH LICENSE PLATE WHEN THE UNITED STATES OLYMPIC COMMITTEE HAS COMMITMENTS FOR LICENSE PLATE PURCHASES FROM AT LEAST FIVE HUNDRED PERSONS AND PROVIDES A LIST OF THE NAMES AND ADDRESSES OF SUCH PERSONS TO THE DEPARTMENT.
(b) THE UNITED STATES OLYMPIC COMMITTEE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE COSTS OF DESIGNING THE UNITED STATES OLYMPIC COMMITTEE SPECIAL LICENSE PLATE AND SHALL PAY SUCH COSTS BEFORE THE LICENSE PLATE IS PRODUCED. THE DESIGN FOR THE SPECIAL LICENSE PLATE SHALL CONFORM WITH STANDARDS ESTABLISHED BY THE DEPARTMENT AND SHALL BE APPROVED BY THE DEPARTMENT.
(3) (a) A PERSON MAY APPLY FOR AN OLYMPIC COMMITTEE SPECIAL LICENSE PLATE FOR A MOTOR VEHICLE IF THE PERSON PAYS THE TAXES AND FEES REQUIRED UNDER THE PROVISIONS OF THIS SECTION AND PROVIDES THE DEPARTMENT OR AUTHORIZED AGENT A CERTIFICATE ISSUED BY THE COMMITTEE CONFIRMING THAT SUCH PERSON MEETS THE QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE LICENSE PLATE ESTABLISHED BY THE COMMITTEE PURSUANT TO PARAGRAPH (b) OF THIS SUBSECTION (3). THE DEPARTMENT SHALL PREPARE A CERTIFICATE FORM TO BE USED BY THE COMMITTEE WHEN CONFIRMING THAT A PERSON IS ELIGIBLE TO OBTAIN OLYMPIC COMMITTEE SPECIAL LICENSE PLATES.
(b) THE COMMITTEE MAY ESTABLISH THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS FOR PERSONS SEEKING TO OBTAIN SPECIAL LICENSE PLATES UNDER THE PROVISIONS OF THIS SECTION:
(I) SPECIFIED LEVELS OF CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE UNITED STATES OLYMPIC COMMITTEE; OR
(II) PAYMENT OF SPECIFIED DUES, INCLUDING SPECIAL DUES ESTABLISHED FOR THE SPECIAL LICENSE PLATES. IF THE OLYMPIC COMMITTEE COLLECTS SPECIAL DUES FOR SPECIAL LICENSE PLATES, THE MONEYS MAY BE EXPENDED ONLY FOR SUPPORT OF THE UNITED STATES OLYMPIC COMMITTEE PROGRAM.
(4) VEHICLES REGISTERED UNDER THIS SECTION SHALL BE SUBJECT TO ALL OTHER PROVISIONS OF THIS ARTICLE EXCEPT THOSE RELATING TO THE TYPE OF NUMBER LICENSE PLATES UNDER SECTION 423113.
(5) (a) THE AMOUNT OF THE TAXES AND FEES FOR OLYMPIC COMMITTEE SPECIAL LICENSE PLATES UNDER THIS SECTION IS THE SAME AS THE AMOUNT OF THE TAXES AND FEES SPECIFIED FOR REGULAR MOTOR VEHICLE LICENSE PLATES; EXCEPT THAT THE DEPARTMENT SHALL COLLECT A ONETIME FEE OF TEN DOLLARS FOR EACH MOTOR VEHICLE FOR ISSUANCE OR REPLACEMENT OF SUCH LICENSE PLATES. THE DEPARTMENT SHALL TRANSMIT THE ADDITIONAL ONETIME FEE TO THE STATE TREASURER WHO SHALL CREDIT THE SAME TO THE HIGHWAY USERS TAX FUND.
(b) AN APPLICANT MAY APPLY FOR OLYMPIC COMMITTEE SPECIAL LICENSE PLATES THAT ARE PERSONALIZED UPON PAYMENT OF THE ADDITIONAL FEE REQUIRED BY SECTION 423114 (7) (a) FOR PERSONALIZED LICENSE PLATES AND CONFORMANCE WITH ALL OTHER REQUIREMENTS OF SECTION 424114. IF ANY APPLICANT HAS EXISTING PERSONALIZED LICENSE PLATES FOR A MOTOR VEHICLE, THE APPLICANT MAY TRANSFER THE COMBINATION OF LETTERS OR NUMBERS TO A NEW SET OF SPECIAL LICENSE PLATES FOR THE VEHICLE UPON PAYING THE FEE IMPOSED BY SECTION 423114 (7) (a) AND UPON TURNING SUCH EXISTING PLATES IN TO THE DEPARTMENT AS REQUIRED BY THE DEPARTMENT. ANY PERSON WHO HAS OBTAINED PERSONALIZED OLYMPIC COMMITTEE SPECIAL LICENSE PLATES UNDER THIS PARAGRAPH (b) IS REQUIRED TO PAY THE ANNUAL FEE IMPOSED BY SECTION 423114 (7) (b) FOR RENEWAL OF SUCH PERSONALIZED PLATES. THE FEES UNDER THIS PARAGRAPH (b) ARE IN ADDITION TO ALL OTHER TAXES AND FEES IMPOSED FOR THE SPECIAL LICENSE PLATES.
(6) ANY RENEWAL OF A SPECIAL LICENSE PLATE ISSUED UNDER THIS SECTION SHALL BE HANDLED IN THE SAME MANNER AS OTHER LICENSE PLATES UNDER THE PROVISIONS OF SECTION 423112 OR, FOR PERSONALIZED PLATES, UNDER THE PROVISIONS OF SECTION 423114.
(7) FOR THE PURPOSES OF THIS SECTION, "COMMITTEE" MEANS THE UNITED STATES OLYMPIC COMMITTEE.
SECTION 2. No appropriation. The general assembly has determined that this act can be implemented within existing appropriations, and therefore no separate appropriation of state moneys is necessary to carry out the purposes of this act.
SECTION 3. Effective date applicability. (1) This act shall take effect at 12:01 a.m. on the day following the expiration of the ninetyday period after final adjournment of the general assembly that is allowed for submitting a referendum petition pursuant to article V, section 1 (3) of the state constitution; except that, if a referendum petition is filed against this act or an item, section, or part of this act within such period, then the act, item, section, or part, if approved by the people, shall take effect on the date of the official declaration of the vote thereon by proclamation of the governor.
(2) The provisions of this act shall apply to applications made on or after the applicable effective date of this act.