First Regular Session
Sixty-first General Assembly
LLS NO. 970572.01D DFH
SENATE BILL 97122
STATE OF COLORADO
BY SENATOR Schroeder;
also REPRESENTATIVE Schauer.
BUSINESS AFFAIRS & LABOR
A BILL FOR AN ACT
CONCERNING THE RENOVATION OF STATE OFFICE BUILDINGS,
AND MAKING APPROPRIATIONS THEREFOR.
(Note: This summary applies to this bill as introduced
and does not necessarily reflect any amendments which may be subsequently
Authorizes the department of personnel to proceed with the development and implementation of plans to relocate the department of revenue from the capitol annex building to a different facility and to renovate the annex building space into office space to be used to house other state agencies. Provides that certain floors in the capitol annex building be renovated as open space, pending future determinations of the general assembly regarding the future use of the capitol annex building.
Makes an appropriation.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Colorado:
SECTION 1. Part 1 of article 82 of title 24, Colorado Revised Statutes, 1988 Repl. Vol., as amended, is amended BY THE ADDITION OF A NEW SECTION to read:
2482109. Authority to renovate the capitol annex building project approach legislative declaration repeal. (1) THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY HEREBY FINDS AND DECLARES THAT:
(a) THE CAPITOL ANNEX BUILDING IS IN NEED OF SIGNIFICANT RENOVATION TO CORRECT DEFICIENCIES IN HEALTH AND LIFE SAFETY SYSTEMS, ENERGY AND MAINTENANCE EFFICIENCY, AND SYSTEMS TECHNOLOGY;
(b) NUMEROUS STUDIES AND REVIEWS OF SPACE UTILIZATION REQUIREMENTS OF THE OCCUPANTS AND USERS OF THE CAPITOL ANNEX BUILDING HAVE DETERMINED THAT THE DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE NEEDS A DIFFERENT SPACE CONFIGURATION AND A FACILITY THAT IS MORE ACCESSIBLE TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC;
(c) RELOCATING THE DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE TO ANOTHER FACILITY WOULD ALLOW THE STATE TO BETTER ADDRESS THE SPACE UTILIZATION AND ACCESS NEEDS OF THE DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE AND PROVIDE AN OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE THE MAJOR SYSTEMS UPGRADES NECESSARY FOR THE CAPITOL ANNEX BUILDING TO BE USED IN THE FUTURE BY OTHER STATE AGENCIES.
(2) THE STATE OF COLORADO, ACTING BY AND THROUGH THE DEPARTMENT OF PERSONNEL, IS HEREBY DIRECTED TO:
(a) IN CONCURRENCE WITH THE DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE, PROCEED WITH THE DEVELOPMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION OF PLANS TO RELOCATE THE DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE TO ANOTHER FACILITY; AND
(b) RENOVATE THE CAPITOL ANNEX BUILDING IN ACCORDANCE WITH CONTRACTING PROCEDURES ESTABLISHED BY LAW AND IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PROJECT APPROACH SET FORTH IN THIS SECTION.
(3) THE GENERAL APPROACH TO THIS PROJECT SHALL BE AS FOLLOWS:
(a) RELOCATION OF THE DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE FROM THE CAPITOL ANNEX BUILDING TO A DIFFERENT FACILITY;
(b) RENOVATION OF SUFFICIENT SPACE IN THE CAPITOL ANNEX BUILDING TO PROVIDE WORK AREAS FOR OFFICE SPACE BY STATE AGENCIES;
(c) RENOVATION OF THE SUBBASEMENT, BASEMENT, AND FIRST FLOOR IN THE CAPITOL ANNEX BUILDING AS OPEN SPACE, PENDING FUTURE DETERMINATIONS BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY REGARDING THE FUTURE USE OF THE CAPITOL ANNEX BUILDING.
(4) THIS SECTION IS REPEALED, EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2001.
SECTION 2. 2475302 (2) (j), Colorado Revised Statutes, 1988 Repl. Vol., as amended, is amended to read:
2475302. Capital construction fund capital assessment fees calculation. (2) As of July 1, 1988, and July 1 of each year thereafter through July 1, 1998, a sum as specified in this subsection (2) shall accrue to the capital construction fund. The state treasurer and the controller shall transfer such sum out of the general fund and into the capital construction fund as moneys become available in the general fund during the fiscal year beginning on said July 1. Transfers between funds pursuant to this subsection (2) shall not be deemed to be appropriations subject to the limitations of section 2475201.1. The amount which shall accrue pursuant to this subsection (2) shall be as follows:
(j) On July 1, 1997, fifty million dollars, PLUS TWENTYNINE MILLION TWO HUNDRED TWENTYEIGHT THOUSAND ONE HUNDRED TWENTYSEVEN DOLLARS PURSUANT TO S.B. 97122, ENACTED AT THE FIRST REGULAR SESSION OF THE SIXTYFIRST GENERAL ASSEMBLY; and
SECTION 3. Appropriations. (1) In addition to any other appropriation, there is hereby appropriated out of the capital construction fund created in section 2475302, Colorado Revised Statutes, not otherwise appropriated, to the department of revenue, for the fiscal year beginning July 1, 1997, the sum of seventeen million six hundred ninetyeight thousand five hundred fifty dollars ($17,698,550), or so much thereof as may be necessary, for the implementation of this act.
(2) In addition to any other appropriation, there is hereby appropriated out of the capital construction fund created in section 2475302, Colorado Revised Statutes, not otherwise appropriated, to the department of personnel, for the fiscal year beginning July 1, 1997, the sum of eleven million five hundred twentynine thousand five hundred seventyseven dollars ($11,529,577), or so much thereof as may be necessary, for the implementation of this act.
(3) If the project is initiated within the fiscal year beginning July 1, 1997, such moneys as appropriated in subsections (1) and (2) of this section shall remain available until the completion of the project or for a period of three years, whichever comes first.
(4) The general assembly has determined that this act will require appropriations for subsequent fiscal years to pay for ongoing costs associated with the new facility for the department of revenue.
(5) The general assembly recognizes that the appropriation in subsection (2) of this section does not include furnishings or movable equipment or the cost of personnel relocation into the capitol annex building after renovation.
SECTION 4. Safety clause. The general assembly hereby finds, determines, and declares that this act is necessary for the immediate preservation of the public peace, health, and safety.